The Detroit Justice Center (DJC) seeks an experienced communications professional with a passion for social justice to serve as Communications Officer. The Communications Officer will be responsible for developing and leading all aspects of DJC communications, including public outreach, fundraising, and traditional and social media.
Launched in 2018, DJC works alongside communities to create economic opportunities, transform the justice system, and promote equitable and just cities. DJC is founded on the belief that we cannot build cities that work for everyone without remedying the impacts of mass incarceration. This mission requires innovative ways of community lawyering—rooted in defensive and offensive fights for racial justice and economic equity—that build up our poorest residents through direct services and novel approaches to land use, housing, and employment.
The Communications Officer will be an integral part of DJC’s growing, dynamic team, and will report directly to the Executive Director. DJC is an innovative start-up non-profit organization that is continually evolving, and we seek candidates who are passionate about their work and excited to contribute. An aptitude for storytelling, increasing visibility, and highlighting the organization’s evolution are essential elements of the job.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop and execute sophisticated, high-impact communications strategies that advance DJC’s mission, vision, and goals
- Produce original written material in the form of newsletters, blog posts, press releases, social media posts, reports, etc., as well as editing and proofreading the writing of other contributors;
- Develop DJC’s social media and web presence;
- Assist with the development of individual donor appeal campaign communications, including solicitations, acknowledgements, and donor correspondence;
- Manage the calendar and workflow of communications;
- Serve as a point of contact for DJC in response to inquiries from members of our community, media outlets, researchers and academics, etc.
- Ensure DJC builds and sustains relationships with key journalists, including ensuring consistent strong capacity to pitch reporters and producers;
- Contribute to the overall development of communications practices and strategy;
- Fulfill other related responsibilities as necessary.
An effective Communications Officer will possess excellent writing abilities, a proven ability to implement strategies that broaden our digital media reach, be proficient in graphic design and video production, manage multiple projects in a fast-paced work space, be a creative thinker with strong analytical skills, and be able to speak to diverse audiences. The candidate should understand how to administer a range of web platforms and tools including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and MailChimp. Additionally, the candidate should be open to learning skills to stay creative and effective.
- Two to five years of public relations, communications, and/or media experience, including experience organizing and managing social media campaigns;
- Ability to manage multiple projects with strong attention to detail, meet deadlines, and work with minimal supervision;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Proficiency in online content management and ability to master the use of online applications and platforms
- Ability to empathetically and effectively edit and proofread the work of others;\
- Ability to work collaboratively and strategically;
- Enthusiasm for working at a progressive new organization;
- Excellent professional judgment;
- Commitment to building social justice movements.
DJC offers salary commensurate with experience plus benefits. DJC is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. People of color, women, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, and individuals with past involvement in the justice system or who have loved ones currently or formerly in the justice system are strongly encouraged to apply.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, short writing sample that demonstrates your ability to distill complex issues (e.g. blog content, press releases, email announcements, etc.) and at least two references in one Word or PDF file by August 9th, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: “DJC Communications Officer.” Please mention in your cover letter where you saw this advertisement. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please refrain from contacting the office to check on the status of your application.