Just Cities Lab Project Manager – Detroit Justice Center
The Detroit Justice Center (DJC) seeks a full-time Project Manager for our Just Cities Lab. The Project Manager will be responsible for administering cutting edge projects at the intersection of restorative justice, urban design, and community reinvestment.
Nationally, we suffer from a lack of strategic vision about how to divest from jails and prisons and reinvest in the health and safety of our communities. DJC’s Just Cities Lab focuses on introducing and normalizing alternatives to punitive justice. We convene change-makers from Detroit and elsewhere who are, for example, experimenting with restorative justice approaches to architecture and urban planning, ‘flipping’ prisons into community support centers, and implementing justice reinvestment solutions through policy change. We incubate and amplify Just City solutions that will ripple far beyond Detroit.
DJC is an innovative non-profit organization that works alongside communities to create economic opportunities, transform the justice system, and promote equitable and just cities. DJC is founded on the belief that we cannot build cities that work for everyone without remedying the impacts of mass incarceration. We operate on a model of defense (legal services), offense (economic equity work), and dreaming (advocacy and Just Cities Lab). Our mission requires innovative ways of community lawyering—rooted in defensive and offensive fights for racial justice and economic equity—that build up our poorest residents through direct services and novel approaches to land use, housing, and employment.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Just Cities Lab Project Manager will be responsible for administering a new restorative justice pilot program to address gun violence in Detroit this year. The Project Manager will also share responsibility for other projects related to community-led approaches to transformative justice, urban planning, and design in the years ahead.
Key Responsibilities include:
· Assist with the implementation of a restorative justice pilot program and other new initiatives and projects
· Develop and implement project plans to ensure all work is completed successfully and on deadline
· Routinely meet with community partners and maintain relationships with national program partners and local government staff and officials
· Coordinate focus groups and listening sessions
· Conduct research and assist in writing reports, publications, and other written products
· Represent the Detroit Justice Center at community events, meetings, and conferences
· Deep alignment with the Detroit Justice Center’s mission and values
· A minimum of 2 years of relevant program administration experience
· Outstanding project management and analytical skills with exceptional attention to detail
· In depth knowledge of criminal justice issues. Direct experience of the criminal legal system or experience working with justice-involved individuals is ideal
· Experience with restorative justice programs and trauma-informed approaches is strongly preferred
· Ability to do community-based work in a highly collaborative and culturally competent manner
· Proactive communicator with strong problem-solving skills. Ability to develop creative solutions, speak up regularly with new ideas, thoughts, concerns, and incorporate feedback and direction
· Superb time management. Ability to produce high quality work on tight deadlines
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Enthusiasm for working at a progressive new organization
· Ability to adapt quickly, multi-task, and work independently.
The Just Cities Lab Project Manager is a full-time position and may require some out-of-state travel. DJC offers salary commensurate with experience and full medical, dental and vision benefits, optional retirement savings plan, and paid leave. DJC is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. People of color, women, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, formerly incarcerated people, and people with incarcerated loved ones are strongly encouraged to apply.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and at least three references in one Word or PDF file by April 23, 2019 to email@example.com with the subject: “DJC Just Cities Lab Project Manager.” Please mention in your cover letter where you saw this advertisement. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please refrain from contacting the office to check on the status of your application.