The Detroit Justice Center (DJC), an innovative community law practice opening in spring 2018, seeks a full-time Office Manager/Paralegal. DJC is founded on the belief that we cannot build cities that work for everyone without remedying the impacts of mass incarceration and transforming our justice system. This position is a unique opportunity to support DJC in its mission to deliver community lawyering services, create economic opportunities, and promote just cities.
The DJC Office Manager/Paralegal will provide administrative and operations support for the organization. The Office Manager will handle a wide range of tasks to ensure the smooth running of the office, seamless communication, and organizational effectiveness. As the first point of contact for many clients, partners, and vendors, it is critical that the DJC Office Manager is an excellent communicator with impeccable attention to detail.
Office Management, Communications, and Reception
- Keep office environments running smoothly, including taking inventory of office supplies, purchasing supplies as needed, and maintaining orderly office spaces;
- Greet DJC visitors warmly and ensure they are routed to the appropriate staff person or information;
- Interact with clients and assist them in completing forms and releases;
- Respond to inquiries made in person, by phone, mail, or email regarding DJC services and programs;
- Proactively provide support for meetings and events, such as technology set-up, printing and collating, preparing the space, ensuring sufficient supplies, etc.
- Provide general administrative support to DJC staff, including mailing/shipping, arranging travel/accommodations, occasional scheduling assistance, and reimbursements;
- Assist with the maintenance and storage of digital files, including contracts, grant award letters, and work plans;
- Create basic materials for regular use such as sign-in sheets and flyers;
- Administer day-to-day finance systems including logging payments received and managing and tracking reimbursements;
- Liaise with DJC’s fiscal sponsor and external bookkeeping/HR firm to maintain and improve finance and human resources systems.
Facilities and IT Support
- Responsible for DJC facilities and equipment. Liaise with landlords, building management, and vendors as needed;
- Ensure facilities and equipment (such as telephones, computers, and printers) are maintained;
- Assist with technology set-up for new staff, including the ordering of new equipment. Ensure new staff are trained, set up with all necessary user accounts, and are able to utilize firm technology, including copiers;
- Supervise all maintenance and cleaning activities; perform basic maintenance duties when necessary.
Support for Legal Staff
- Maintain and update case management database and help keep client records in order;
- Finalize, file, and serve legal documents when needed; and
- Request various types of records.
- Must have a BA or paralegal certificate and/or at least two to three years of experience in office administration, operations, or as support staff working under the supervision of attorneys;
- Experience working in a new non-profit and/or at a public interest law firm is helpful;
- Must be detail oriented and possess excellent organizational and communication skills;
- Must prioritize tasks effectively and meet deadlines;
- Must be resourceful and have the ability to anticipate needs and work independently;
- Must be able to manage sensitive and confidential information with integrity;
- Knowledge/experience of justice issues and passion for DJC’s mission; and
- Knowledge of MS Office Suite and Google products; experience with case management software and web conferencing software (e.g., Adobe Connect, GotoMeeting, Zoom) a plus.
DJC offers salary commensurate with experience plus benefits. DJC is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. People of color, women, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, and individuals with past involvement in the justice system or who have loved ones currently or formerly in the justice system are strongly encouraged to apply.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and at least two references in one Word or PDF file by February 22, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: “DJC Office Manager/Paralegal Position.” Please mention in your cover letter where you saw this advertisement. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please refrain from contacting the office to check on the status of your application.